How To Fix A Frozen Computer
How To Fix A Frozen Computer
Computer hanging or freezing occurs when either a program or the whole Operating System ceases to respond to inputs. In the most commonly encountered scenario, a program freezes and all windows belonging to the frozen program become static, and though the mouse cursor still moves on the screen, neither typing on the keyboard nor clicking the mouse produces any effect in the program's windows. The mouse cursor may also be stuck in a form indicating that it is waiting for some operation to complete, such as an hourglass or a spinning wait cursor. Almost always, the only way to recover from a system freeze is to reboot the machine, usually by power cycling with an on/off or reset button.
What Causes my Windows to Freeze?
The most common but least severe cause of your computer screen freezing is when your system is using all RAM (memory) available - at that particular moment. If so, you've got a hardware problem. Our free Reimage scan can tell you how your PC's RAM compares to a worldwide average. Find out how your PC's hardware ranks, in under 5 minutes.
How to Fix "Computer Screen Freeze"
- This problem might be temporary. Wait a few moments to see if everything starts functioning again.
- Either increase your RAM or start closing programs that are running in the foreground and background of your computer that you don't need. Follow the following steps:
- Press the 'Alt', 'Ctrl' and 'Del' buttons all at the same time, and you should bring up Windows Task Manager.
- See if any programs show up in the 'Applications' window as not being responsive.
- If anything shows, highlight it and click 'End Task'.
- Wait a few seconds, and the non-responsive programs should shut down.
More Complicated Fixes
If the problem isn't a purely short term, temporary one, then it's something more serious.
- Fire up your trusty anti-virus program and run a full virus scan now. If you don't have anti-virus software already, you can download the program from MacAfee, or use Reimage's free scan to diagnose malware.
An Automatic Solution
The recommended solution is to use the professional Windows system repair software which runs a deep scan of your Windows system, finds and automatically fixes system software problems that are causing your computer to freeze. Reimage is the only program that has over 25,000,000 files in a repository and actually fixes your corrupted, malfunctioning and missing Windows software files. Run Reimage scan to get a free PC report to see what PC problems you have and also get a free spyware and virus scan.
Reimage also increases performance, stops computer freezing and system crashes as well as improves overall PC stability. With regular use, Reimage will constantly refresh your operating system which will keep your computer running at its best. Reimage is a fast, easy and safe solution to fixing PC freeze and all other Windows problems.